Monday, May 18, 2009

Standing Up, Embroidered Shoes and the Mullet

Vake has decided that he's a big fan of standing up- I think it may be related to his love of the bouncy seat. I find it very hard to believe that he enjoys standing up as much as he does but he really loves it! Here he is practicing his balancing moves on a chair in the living room with a little help from Daddy.

Daddy has, incidentally, continued to be the preferred parent. As we are going through our daily routine, there will be times that Vake is not thrilled with what I am doing (changing him, changing his clothes, etc) but then Eric grabs him and Vake is all smiles. Here's a shot of Vake staring longingly at the number one Dad.

And if you look closely at his little feet (which is so funny to write little feet like that, because one of my favorite songs is Dixie Chicken by Little Feat) you will see his fancy embroidered shoes which were sent to him by Eric's cousin Leslie, the same cousin who sent him the embroidered ox that hangs above his changing table (it becomes more and more appropriate that this 20 pound 3 month old baby was born in the Year of the Ox). When we got the shoes, which are a Taiwanese size 2 (whatever that means) I thought they were enormous. I put them on him today because we are having unseasonably cold weather and suffice it to say that it was extremely lucky that we tried them out when we did because they BARELY fit his baby feet.

I tried to get a good snap of the size, but I didn't zoom in close enough, apparently.

This one shows you the size close up- I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that he's blowing through shoes the same way that he's blowing through clothes. Grandmary and I picked out this outfit from the Hall Tree (a consignment store in town) to wear this fall. As you can see, there's not a lot of extra room in these overalls- we are hoping that they make it through the trip to Seattle in June.

I also want you to see little V's mullet. It is almost impossible to describe, but he has this patch of what looks like original baby hair at the base of his neck- it is nearly black and the hair that's coming in everywhere else is lighter. The pediatrician joked us last month that it looked like a mullet, and it still really really does.

1 comment: