Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Grateful (Greatful)

No, this isn't a post about my nanny's favorite band. I was just finishing up the organization for Vake's first birthday party and thinking about what a difference a year can make.

At this time last year (2009), Eric and I were (E of course more patiently than I) patiently waiting for little V's arrival. At this time two years ago (2008), we were putting the finishing touches on our wedding plans. At this time three years ago (2007), we had just started dating. At this time four years (2006) ago, I felt about the worst I had ever felt in my life, wondering what in the world I was meant to be doing with my life.

It's 2010 now and (knock major wood that it stays this way) I've never been this happy in my life. Things are pretty great.

There are just some days when I get smacked in the head with how lucky I am and how grateful I should be. And today was one of those days. Wasn't anything earthshattering, or at least any more earthshattering that any other day in the life of a public defender. Just an overwhelming sense of how ridiculously lucky I am.

Is my life perfect? As I am writing, I am cognizant of not trying to be smug. That's the last thing anyone needs. And I can assure you that my life is far from perfect. I've got two loads of clean laundry I should be working on. I've got chairs that are circa 1967 in my living room. I'm still 15 (ok, after the holidays more like 20) pounds overweight.

But I've got to say, I am one lucky person and I definitely don't stop and say "Thank you" nearly as much as I should. I've definitely seen my share of tough times in my life so I really know what it feels like to be lucky, happy, settled and well. I've got a job that I love, a house that I love, a baby and a husband I absolutely adore. It doesn't get much better than this.

Grateful. (Greatful)

No comments:

Post a Comment