Sunday, January 20, 2013

Challenges of Church

Now that Gil is basically down to one nap, we're trying to get to church every Sunday.  Whew!  Easier said than done.  Today,  I slept until 7:45 and the service starts at 8:45.  I don't mind so much being the family that is scooting in as the whole thing is getting underway, but it was particularly frustrating today.

This Sunday and last Sunday, we've taken Gil to the nursery.  I think Gil is right in the middle of the worst of the baby separation anxiety right now because he just howls when he is held or taken by someone he doesn't know.  So our church nursery, like many others, has a pager system.  You drop off the child, you take a pager. 

And that's what we did.  About five minutes into the service, what I think is my cell phone starts buzzing and won't stop.  I check my phone, and it is not that.  I check Mom's phone.  Eric checks his blackberry- and we finally realize it is the pager from the nursery.  Oh dear.  I never had this problem with Vake at all. 

I arrive upstairs and Gil is upset, but it is an upset that I honestly think that the nursery worker could have gotten him through.  Oh well.  Nevermind.  So I take Gil back downstairs.  He's definitely pretty outraged and is still sort of randomly shrieking throughout the service.  I finally take him out and sweet Bo stops his sermon to tell me that Gil is fine.  Oh well again.

At any rate, we make it through.  By the end of the service, Vake is so amped up that he is ready to run up and down the aisle.  Yowzers. 

I do stand behind my firm belief that it is incredibly important to raise children in a faith but whew!  it is exhausting.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should make E go to church too. You know, to help out. Might do him some good anyways.

    BIM

    ReplyDelete