Sunday, December 9, 2012

The teachable moment that wasn't

Today was action packed. Vake and I had Sunday school, then he had a birthday party, and then we went with Eric and Gil to a church to prepare a meal for a group of homeless men who stay overnight at a group of area churches.

It was a simple meal and there were about 35 men there for the night. Chili, cornbread, ham biscuits, and cookies. Heavy on the inexpensive carbs, light on fresh fruit, veggies and protein. But prepared carefully and well.

And my whole plan was to start the conversation about the holidays having a component of giving back. But I failed. I got there and there was so much hustle and bustle that I just let him watch a movie sitting on the floor. He didn't help prepare the food, nor did he help serve it. I don't think that he talked to a single one of the people who came through the food line.

And obviously, that's fine. He's three, not thirteen and not thirty. But it makes you realize that working on that sensitivity chip is not as easy as you might think.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:North Blvd,Richmond,United States

1 comment:

  1. "...I just let him watch a movie sitting on the floor. He didn't help prepare the food, nor did he help serve it. I don't think that he talked to a single one of the people who came through the food line...."

    Vake, not Eric. right?

    BIM

    ReplyDelete