Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Behind the Scenes- the COSTUME

Ok- so you would not have thought the costume was so freaking hard to make- but it basically took a total of somewhere between 6-8 hours of work- and I like to think of myself as crafty, but COME ON...

Anyhow, once the boxes were painted, I worked on the box that Vake would stand in- first painting the red trim.

Then, I used construction paper to cut out the Thomas "1"- this was about the time that Vake told me he wanted to be Gordon- who is NOT No. 1- and I started to truly freak out. In my defense, I am also preggers, miserable, and Halloween was the day before the trial of my career.
Here's a close up.

Once that was done, I needed to figure out a way to attach the two boxes together to create the "tank engine" part of the costume- one box was resting on its bottom, one was flipped up on its side.






It was looking pretty good at this point, mostly thanks to all the construction paper "flare" I had put all over it.


And from the file of overengineered products, Eric attached 4- that's right- count them- four bolts to hold the two boxes together- then I hot glue gunned the box tops on. Victory.





I think the total cost for this costume was about $30- if I had known how well the construction paper worked, I probably could have saved about $10 in paint costs. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment