Saturday, January 22, 2011

And like that, my baby was gone.

Today was the swan song of the crib. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I am a little sad- it is one of those things that I didn't plan for and I am a little more wistful than I realized I would be.

Vake's been staging attempted escapes from his crib for about 10 days now- in the middle of the night, first thing in the mornings- and while I am sure he would be fine if he crawled out of the crib, it's been making me a little nervous.

I talked to Andrea and other parents that I knew, and the advice was basically to wait as long as I could to do the transition to the big boy bed and to be prepared if the transition was an early one for there to be some missed naps.

So today was the day!

The bed that was in his room is the bed we're going to use for at least awhile- I got it at a thrift store the summer that I took the bar exam and painted it white. It didn't have any slats and I had sawed 2x4s to rest the boxsprings and mattress on which Eric didn't really like, so he cut a piece of plywood.

We moved out the crib, then ran to BabiesRUs and got bedrails.

Vake seemed pretty excited about the project.


Obviously, the whole room was in disarray for most of the morning.


The armchair moved into the corner under the big light fixture and the bookshelf came out of the corner and under the window.


A bunch of toys walked upstairs from the living room, which means that the living room is starting to look less like a daycare center- always welcome news!


And the kitchen and the shopping cart are up in the kitchen now. I took down the animal mobile (tear!) and tried to hang it above Vake's bed. Fail. He was pulling on it in three seconds.


Picture this WITHOUT a mobile.


So there was so much excitement that V was a nap refusnik and I was really anxious about what would happen at bedtime- but he was exhausted.
And here's my little boy asleep in his big boy bed.

















1 comment:

  1. So are you going to change your blog title to "Boy Vake Blog"

    Ya know what follows: "Tween Vake Blog" "Angsty Vake Blog" "Man Vake Blog"...

    ReplyDelete